Sunday, November 30, 2008

Hitherto I have recorded...

“Hitherto I have recorded in detail the events of my insignificant existence: to the first ten years of my life, I have given almost as many chapters. But this is not to be a regular autobiography: I am only bound to invoke memory where I know her responses will possess some degree of interest; therefore I now pass a space of eight years almost in silence: a few lines only are necessary to keep up the links of connection.” (Bronte 85)

This is another odd interjection by the narrator, Jane Eyre, of the story. She reminds us here again that the novel is simply a narration of a story that evidently is meant to be believable, because Bronte is trying hard to make this novel seem like it is just a young girl telling the actual story of her life. It is not an embellished tale, not a fable really, just a story.

2 comments:

Xwing212 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Xwing212 said...

yes..Bronte as manipulator..and precisely right..done to enhance believeability