Sunday, November 30, 2008

I could not see God.

"My future husband was becoming to me my whole world; and more than the world: almost my hope of heaven. He stood between me and every thought of religion, as an eclipse intervenes between man and the broad sun. I could not, in those days, see God for his creature of whom I had made an idol." (Bronte 276).

Here the theme of "love vs. religion" is brought up again. Since Jane now has love, she no longer needs religion; one takes the place of the other and completes it. The characters in this book seem to either have one or the other, but not both. At the end of the book, Jane and Mr. Rochester have love, but not necessarily love for God or religion, and St. John Rivers has only love for God and religion, and not for anything earthly.

1 comment:

Xwing212 said...

Bronte seems to be making quite a palpable statement then through this characterization -- what could it be?