Sunday, November 30, 2008

Religion called.

"I stood motionless under my hierophant's touch. My refusals were forgotten--my fears overcome--my wrestlings paralysed. The Impossible--i.e. my marraige with St. John--was fast becoming the Possible. All was changing utterly, with a sudden sweep. Religion called--Angels beckoned--God comanded--life rolled together like a scroll--death's gates opening, showed eternity beyond: it seemed, that for saftey and bliss there, all here might be sacrificed in a second. The dim room was full of vision." (Bronte 421).

Here is another example of the theme of religion vs. love. Jane was unwilling to marry St. John Rivers because they did not love each other and she was still in love with Mr. Rochester. Here, however, she is having a change of heart--she sees that to follow and marry St. John would be to follow God, and, although she would be sacrificing love, she would be gaining the love of God and religion. This is another place where she must make a choice; religion or love.

No comments: