Sunday, November 30, 2008

The Plain Truth

"(oh, romantic reader, forgive me for telling the plain truth!)" (Bronte 113).

This interjection from the narrator, Jane, suggests something very important about the story of Jane Eyre; that it is just that, a story, plain and simple. Although it is fiction, Jane Eyre is portrayed as a story of a young girl's life, told by that girl herself. Being just a story, it does not have as many embellishments (such as themes, metaphors, interesting narrative structures, etc.) as a modern novel with themes and a message.

1 comment:

Xwing212 said...

I think I'd have to disagree -- I think that you are right one with the narration -- but I'd have to disagree with the assertion that it doesn't have as many embellishments -- I think they may manifest themselves in different ways because of the narrative point-of-view and it may seem less complex because the narrative doesn't change -- but there are layers in there -- I think the bigger thing to hit on there may be the address of the reader and the plea for acceptance